- On today’s show Landon discusses a relatively new phenomenon cropping up in seeker-sensitive megachurches which berates and belittles sheep who dare to crave more doctrine and more worship. One such Pastor refers to these people as “Big, fat spiritual babies”. We’ll discuss how this methodology is ridiculous, anti-biblical, and downright demonic. Then, we’ll play a message from Pastor Jordan Hall entitled “Modern Day Downgrade” that addresses in great biblical depth the current state of American Evangelicalism.
(Click “Read More” for detailed show notes.)
[00:03:36] Topic 1: Big Fat Spiritual Babies
- Last week I mentioned that a young Pastor, whom I know, and his wife posted the following quote on Facebook, “Pastors are starting to get wily. When people tell my friend, ‘I’m not being fed,’ he replies, ‘I’m perfectly happy to spoon feed my one-year-old. But if I’m still spoon-feeding him when he’s five, we’ve got a problem. Here’s a fork. Feed yourself.”
- This is tragic. This is the faulty and abusive line of thinking that seeker-sensitive pastors like Perry Noble, Steven Furtick, and Mark Driscoll employ. This is how they justify teaching squishy doctrine so as to attract as many people as possible (mostly goats) to their entertainment venues they falsely call a church. Should we be feeding on the Word more than just on Sunday, yes! Does that mean the Pastor should dumb down the message each week in order to attract goats instead of edifying the sheep? No!
- In light of this situation, we’ll listen to a small portion of a message given by a Pastor that refers to Christians wanting more doctrine and more worship as selfish “big, fat spiritual babies”.
- We’ll discuss how this modern notion of Sunday service being the evangelistic arm of the church is utter nonsense and case study #1 in creating false conversions.
[00:28:01] Topic 2: The Modern Day Downgrade
- “Modern Day Downgrade: A Call for Repentance to Southern Baptists and Other Evangelicals” was a presentation made at the 2013 Reformation Montana Conference. He discusses the state of affairs in the Montana Southern Baptist Convention and the general state of affairs in mainstream evangelicalism in America. Looking back at Spurgeon’s Downgrade Controversy, Hall compares that doctrinal downgrade and general watering down of teaching with that present in our own time. He discusses a denomination in decline, and urges a return to a firm belief in the Sufficiency of Scripture. Included are topics such as church discipline, affinity-based churches, refusal to hold leadership accountable for doctrinal and personal sin, and denying the Holy Spirit’s role in evangelism through man-centered tactics and strategy.
Resources Mentioned During the Show
(Click on titles for links)
- Church by the Glades sermon – “Foodies – Business is Good”
- For Whom Do Pastors Exist?
- Modern Day Downgrade by JD Hall
- If you’d like to email regarding anything you’ve heard on this edition or previous editions of the Fire Away! podcast, you can do so at FireAway@entreatingfavor.com or subscribe on Facebook at www.facebook.com/EntreatingFavor.
- If you have questions, suggestions, or hate mail for those involved with today’s show, please email at the addresses below:
- Landon Chapman
- Email: email@example.com
- Landon Chapman